Gina L. Calder, FACHE President, St. Charles County, BJC Healthcare

 

Gina L. Calder, FACHE
As we celebrate Black History Month and how Black Americans have helped shape our nation’s past, present, and future, I also reflect on my first year serving the St. Charles County team and community. I am truly blessed to be #BJC
Healthcare’s first Black female hospital president and grateful for the journey that brought me here.

I think about the stories and experiences of generations of my mother’s family in South Carolina through slavery, Jim Crow, and the Civil Rights Movement and my father’s family in Jamaica through slavery, colonialism, and the Independence Movement. It amazes me how they were able to push forward believing in and fighting for a brighter future they knew they may not see. They found hope even in struggle. Because so many people gave all they had, even their lives, to pave the way for me, I can now live that same hope they held on to. My goal is to pay it forward and devote my life and career to serving and lifting others.

Neither my life’s journey nor this past year have always been smooth or easy. The struggle is real and yes, it is hard, but I believe there is victory on the other side. I have learned and seen through the lives of those whose shoulders I stand on that despite the challenges we face, we are able to do great things, even things we once thought were impossible.

This year has been tough, yet we are doing amazing things in SCC. We had several successful regulatory surveys, we launched our neurospine and mechanical thrombectomy programs, we delivered more babies than ever before, we are bravely navigating the pandemic, we had fantastic 2021 financial results, we achieved our fall and glycemic event targets, and we are on our way to achieving ZERO HARM for our patients and staff and becoming the LARGEST CONTRIBUTOR to health in St. Charles County.

I know we will continue to do great things in honor of those who went before us and in service of those coming after us. Thank you, SCC, for joining me each day in making a difference for our patients, community, and team.
“A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.” Jackie Robinson

#BHM #SCCProud Barnes-Jewish St. Peters Hospital
Progress West Hospital

Comments