CNN.COM Opinion: What I realized when my toddler got Covid

 


OPINION: WHAT I REALIZED WHEN MY TODDLER GOT COVID
“After more than 18 months of masking, isolating, quarantining, podding, testing, vaccinating and boosting, I thought I had all the tools to stand up to Covid -- or at least to prepare for it. But nothing readied me for the moment when my husband handed over our daughter's positive home rapid test.’”
 “I can't stop thinking about how, as a country, the US just can't seem to effectively prioritize the well-being of children.”
 Recently, CBS News's Chief Legal Correspondent Jan Crawford said on Face The Nation that the biggest underreported story of 2021 was the devastating impact of Covid policies on children.
(CNN) After spending the last two years terrified of getting Covid-19, last month our four-year-old daughter -- too young to be vaccinated, much less boosted -- got sick. There was an outbreak in her pre-K classroom, so as soon she got a temperature, we did an at-home test.
 We spent a few sleepless nights fighting to bring her 103-degree fever down as our little warrior coughed and struggled with congestion. Her doctor told us to only take her to the hospital if she had trouble breathing. The biggest "weapon" I had to help my kid was over-the-counter medicine to reduce her fever.
 Thankfully, my little girl has now recovered, and overall Covid-19 was "swift and mild" on us as a family. But the experience was still traumatic -- even for a "pandemic mom" like me.
 As we enter year three of the pandemic, I have a radical proposal for the world's richest democracy: Let's prioritize children in 2022 -- their health and their rights because they're the ones who have the highest price to pay. And they're already footing the bill.
 RATIONAL, RESPONSIBLE PEOPLE WILL AGREE THAT THINGS NEED TO CHANGE IN HOW AMERICA IS HANDLING VARIOUS ASPECTS OF COVID & ITS MANAGEMENT

Comments