Post by Aliya Tyus-Barnwell

 


t
rSpon2sdorhemd
 
Kaiashonte Addae
If we could have this young lady on the panel... She is super cool, and very very knowledgeable on the subject matter. She is doing great things in NYC!
HOW GREAT WOULD THAT BE!?
Image may contain: 1 person, bicycle
St2Spo2ndsuohrced
 
Made a long post on Insta about this, and I'll make a different one here. I'm flattered to be included in
BICYCLING magazine
. I keep it relatively simple: I talk about kit primarily, and everyone needs kit recommendations. Youth cycling is my other focus, and most people who aren't into it just don't comment, it's not the kind of thing where people would say "ugh, stop talking about their age, they should just get a bike and ride." Black people on bikes comes up as a subject because I am Black.
The responses to the other articles written by Black people telling their stories were not always so great. The comments have a few "I don't see color" types. I think Grace Anderson, founder of
PGM ONE Summit
said it well: "Please don't think you're doing Black people a favor by promoting your colorblindness... I need you to see my skin color because my experience as a Black cyclist greatly differs from non black cyclists and I need you to know and see that. The fight against anti-Black racism isn't going to be won with a flimsy Black Lives Matter statement. It's going to take deep systemic change and action.... It's going to take recognizing that cycling is more than a recreational sport. It's a means of transportation, resistance against climate change, and a tool for joy."

Comments