Black Genius

Hi  Tom!
 
How are you in this time of slow reopenings? I hope you’re taking it easy–there are already onslaughts of new cases in places where restrictions have been relaxed. Please continue to take good care of yourself.
 
Massive shoutout to everyone who joined me on my first live recording of Black Genius last Saturday!!! JL, Evan, Martine, Faith, Nadine, Ony, Nichole. What an amazing time. I was high off that conversation for days. I literally couldn’t have done it without your support. For those who missed it, please see here. It’ll only be on Facebook until Sunday, so watch it as soon as you can. The audio podcast has been launched here. You should run and check out the beat I created for the intro. Definitely on my Kanye shit.
 
Shoutout to everyone who joined in for our FIRST Global Black Meditation! Including my mom! Big thank you to Sam for leading it. We’re going to continue this coming Wednesday.
 
We have a number of virtual events coming up for you in the coming days. Come as you are and connect with the FAM! Set your reminders because I know you need these in your life ;)
 
You can catch all our lives here https://www.facebook.com/noirpress.org/live.
 

Saturday, May 23

 
 
9AM EST - “Black Genius” Live Recording
I’ll be speaking with Wunmi Olaiya, supreme fashion designer working out of Lagos and Brooklyn. Born in London, she’s been an ambassador for Yoruba culture in every corner of the globe. We’ll be talking about the rise of African fashion, and how you can find the kinds of pieces your grandchildren will beg you for. Set reminder.
 

Tuesday, May 26

 
Noon EST - “Unprecedented” Live Recording
Evan Parke and I are finally launching our podcast! I’m so excited to study, analyze and critique projects like They’ve Gotta Have Us, Sprinter, Barbershop Chronicles and so much more with him. We have the most amazing conversations about content we’ve seen and I’ve been wanting to share them with you all for ages. Read Evan’s article, Why BlackAF is Important, to understand why we’re calling it Unprecedented. Set reminder.
 

Wednesday, May 27

 
NOON EST - Global Black Meditation
A 5-min Meditation with @mindfulnessmami to help you reset, hear from your inner voice and key into your power.
 

Saturday, May 30

 
9AM EST - “Black Genius” Live Recording
I’ll be speaking with Kevin Beckford, Co-Founder of the Hustler’s Guild. This Jamaican alum of the Obama Administration has hosted moguls like Anthony Anderson, Snoop Dogg and Rickey Smiley on Zoom chats with Black youth to provide them with inspiration and leadership skills.
 
1PM EST - Netflix & Chat: The Last Dance
Reneson Jean-Louis will moderate this conversation on The Last Dance which will feature PhD students of race and sports, former athletes and basketball fans. RSVP now.
 
PS - Other events happening this weekend:
Interested in moving back to the Continent? Check out The Thread this weekend.
 
Next week I’ll send more info on how you can watch the films I mentioned on the first episode of Black Genius.
 

Comments