Wonder Woman- Troya Bishop


Troya Bishop is regarded as a fierce fighter and advocate for social justice. With over 25 years of experience in advocacy/non-violent protests and a strong background in long-term strategic planning, Troya is considered an expert in social justice causes. Her interest in the movement began after she encountered overt racism and joined the NAACP when she was 9 years old.
Her fourth grade trip to the Alabama State Capitol, in Montgomery, AL. motivated her to become a lifetime advocate for equality. After touring the Capitol with classmates, they entered the office of newly retired Governor George Wallace. The White kids entered first, and he was excited and welcoming. When he realized there were also African American kids in the class, Wallace panicked and yelled, “Get these niggers out of my office”! Armed security guards rushed in and removed the students from the premises.
After that harsh awakening, Troya remained active in the social justice movement, and held various leadership roles, as she continued to acquire more skills to become the best person, and leader possible. Troya served as a Leadership Commissioner and Crisis Committee Chairperson in Rev. Al Sharpton’s Atlanta office of National Action Network (2008-2012). Under the leadership of Rev. Sharpton, Troya was a key liaison in hundreds of cases regarding human rights violations. The most notable was Troy Davis. Although she was key in the mobilization effort to stop Troy’s death and coordinate rallies and protests, she often speaks of the horror she felt after being at the prison with Troy’s family when he was executed.
As a believer in the nonviolent approach to advocacy, she identifies with the philosophies of Dr. King and Mahatma Gandhi. Non-violent activism was a key approach to social change that she learned while earning her B.S. in Communications from Howard University. While completing her M. Ed. at Tennessee State University, her research was comprised of effective strategies for working with children with behavior disorders. She is completing her Doctor of Education in Higher Education & Adult Learning and presented her academic research on transformational learning at the International Research Conference in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Her commitment to teaching adults to become advocates, lead her to start her own non-profit organization, Parental Empowerment Institute (PEI), in 2012 and she now serves as the Executive Director.
During President Obama’s leadership, Troya was invited with PEI to visit the White House and participate in the, My Brother’s Keeper Initiative, for young men of color. Troya’s passion for advocacy and her ability to mobilize people earned her a permanent place in the movement, and a soft spot in the hearts of those she has served. In 2016, she put her thoughts and research into books: a two-set book/workbook curriculum titled, The Answers: A Parent’s Guide to Discussing Racism with Children. The second book and workbook are titled: The Answers: Discussing and Defeating Racism in America. Troya also released a book in 2018, “The Answers to Intimacy: Why Men NEED Oral Sex and Women NEED to talk”. A culmination of all her research, Troya ensures supporters that the book will demonstrate the connection between a person’s perception of power and their interpersonal relationships. This book has received raving reviews, and couples from all walks of life are expressing their appreciation for it.
Fancy: How would you describe your swagher? What makes Troya, Troya?
Troya: My swagher is rooted in kindness and love. I try to be as intentional as possible with how I treat people and how I allow people to be treated in my presence. I’m more than a boss, more like a queen.
Fancy: I was so moved by your recount of meeting former Governor George Wallace. Did he ever issue an apology to you all?
Troya: Apology?!? LOL! Technically yes. He gave a general statement of apology to, “those he hurt”, back in 1995. The Baltimore Sun published a story about it. I was a sophomore at Howard University at the time. But to me or my classmates, no…he never directly apologized. I believe he died just like he lived…a miserable racist.

Fancy: Please share more about your books “The Answers: A Parent's Guide to Discussing Racism with Children” and “The Answers: Discussing and Defeating Racism in America”.

Troya:
 As I was working in PEI, parents kept asking me to recommend a book that they could read to know what to say to their children about racism. As I looked over time, I couldn’t find any. So I wrote my own, and people loved it! These books give information about racism from a factual, research-based perspective. So I’m not sharing what I think or how I feel. I’m actually sharing real peer-reviewed research from my perspective as an African American woman. They both have companion action-guides, so you really can read them and uncover your own personal biases, based on your experiences and your exposure.
Fancy: Does discussing racism with our children soften the blow any for when they may experience it?
Troya: Yes, because I look at it from a strategic view, since it is a war we are in. In order to win any battle, you have to be prepared and know the opponent coming against you. Preparing our children by equipping them with the truth is the best tool to end racism and weapon of any war. You have to at least know what is going on. As a veteran educator and life-long learner, I really believe that preparation is where many well-intentioned people lose the battle. The lack of knowledge and the lack of application of knowledge. Is where we have the largest opportunity to grow.

Fancy: Now I know you also have a third book, “The Answers to Intimacy: Why Men NEED Oral Sex and Women NEED to Talk?". It sounds like you went in a totally different direction with that one. What inspired this one?
Troya: I know it sounds like I went in a different direction, but I didn’t. This book came from the workshops, tours, podcasts, radio and tv interviews that I did for the first books. I got a notion from listening to people in the audiences, that racism was one of the main reasons that people who are in relationships with Black people have difficulties. African American men and women are oppressed and facing obstacles caused by racism all day, especially at work, and are expected to come home and be the loveliest version of themselves. That’s unrealistic, and many relationships are failing because of that disconnect. So, I decided to do some research, and that notion was backed by TONS of research that I had never heard of! This is the book I wish I had before I got married, and certainly wish I had before I got a divorce. This book drastically changed the way I look at relationships and what I need in a relationship. I have learned a lot, and other people I have come across that have read the book are learning and growing too. It has been a HUGE blessing!
Read Full Interview
Vist Troya's Website
In their latest issue, SwagHer shares the positive qualities of not being apologetic. Being unapologetic is not a bad thing, in terms of relatability. It is stating, I stand on what I believe and no matter the resistance, I will keep standing. This theme can be felt throughout the magazine from the cover to the end.
Our cover for this issue is Priscilla Shirer, who has been known to be unapologetic in her faith. She has been a trailblazer for God for many years, walking by faith as a mother, wife, and servant. We learn in this issue what made Priscilla take on the role of a school principal in her latest movie, Overcomer, and why she felt she was not the right fit when she was offered her role in War Room. Priscilla tells us about her latest book that accompanies the movie Overcomer and what she wishes you, the audience, will receive from reading it.
We also break down the power of the black woman's vote and explain why you should be planning your 2020 calendar now. Our contributors share tips on quitting your job, how to keep yourself motivated during stages of renewal and elevation and fall health and beauty buys. Rounding out our issue are our author spotlights and wonder women and more.

ORDER HERE.

GOT QUESTIONS

Email us at advertise@swagher.net today.

Comments