The Night is Yours by Addul-Razak Zachariah


 I wrote a children’s book about a Black girl playing under the care of her community and I’d love for you to grab a copy for a child you love (or for yourself)! Also, come through to one of the storytime events where I’ll be reading the book this summer!
Facebook friends! I’m terrible with all my social media, so I’ve only had a chance to share this on Instagram and Twitter a few days ago. I was really blessed with the opportunity to write my first children’s book and it releases in a little over a week from now on JULY 2, 2019. This project, titled The Night is Yours, is illustrated by an amazing artist named keturah ariel nailah bobo who brought out every image that was in my mind when writing this story. Dial Books for Young Readers, an imprint of Penguin Random House is the wonderful publisher who helped my very loose idea become a very real, physical book!
I care a lot about safe spaces for children and teenagers to play, meet and grow; this story centers on an apartment complex similar to the one I grew up in that gave me that kind of space. It also highlights a Black girl being given love by her family and community under the vastness of night and light of the moon. I liked writing it so maybe you’ll like reading it???
If you have family, friends, neighbors, rivals (enemies?), teachers, librarians, organizations who you think would want to share this story with children, please let them know that they can pre-order it here: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/…/the-nigh…/9780525552710.
Also, I’m going to be having a few storytime events around New Haven/Connecticut this summer where I’ll be reading the book! The first two events will be at RJ Julia Booksellers in Madison, CT (Saturday, July 13 at 10:30am) and The Yale Bookstore in New Haven, CT (Sunday, July 14 at 2:00pm). Please come out if you’re available! Here’s some links to the events:
Great, now go read a children’s book you really love, breathe deep, drink water and enjoy your day!

Comments