We Live in Harlem

 
 
I’m back, Harlem!

It has been 35 years since my first visit. It was a snowy day just before Christmas. I was introduced to Harlem, specifically to 135th street, when I came to conduct a photo interview for Broadway. Contrary to what I heard in Japan about Harlem, I found a happy, generous and kind community. Although I encountered some dangerous situations during my time in Harlem, my passion toward the neighborhood and community has never gone away. I found myself drawn back to Harlem for 13 years since 1982, continuing to photograph the neighborhood thanks to the support from the people of Harlem. To my friends who I met during my time in Harlem – how are you? The thirty-something-year-old me is now in my seventies. I would love to reunite with the people I met and where I spent my happiest time when I was young, filled with passion and dreams. I hope those who can recall Harlem in the 80’s, those who know only of present-day Harlem, and more of those who live in New York will enjoy this exhibit.  

-Yasuo Wakaiki
 
 
 
 
 
PHOTO EXHIBITION
photographer YASUO WAKAIKI
"We live in Harlem" exhibition committee members
Coordinator: Hiroshi Kono
 
 
 
 
Hello Harlem,

What have you been up to? Let's get together, catch up and share some memories.
 
 
 
 
JOIN US ON A JOURNEY DOWN MEMORY LANE.
 
 
RSVP
 
 
 
June 14 @6pm Opening Reception
----
2 WEEKS ONLY!  June 14 - 27, 2018
DON'T MISS IT!
 
 
 
 
HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE! 

LOCATION: The Dwyer Cultural Center, 258 St.Nicholas  Ave, Harlem, NY 10027 
ENTRANCE: 123rd Street between St. Nicholas Ave & Fredrick Douglas Blvd
TRAINS: A, B, C, D (nearest) or 2,3 (a few blocks) Harlem-125th Street Station

Comments

Unknown said…
I can only dream of seeing this exhibit. . .
From Cleveland - wishing you a wonderful
return to Harlem!