Happy Emancipation Day from Forward Forty
View this email in your browser

 





 
Dear tom

Perhaps “the only saviour of a half baked existence” is to create. Artists do it, so too poets and writers. My beautiful friend, Natalie Augustin, a travel blogger, does it every time she journeys to an unknown place and gets stewed in its culture with photographs that bear marvel to the experiences that mould and change her thinking.

 

I admire that.

 

Still, in deciding to live fully we seldom talk about the stuff that muddies our rivers of joy. We Snapchat and Instagram our lives instead as if they were perfect, knowing that the filters may disguise the truth to others but never to ourselves and that they don’t completely hide the fact that triumph and defeat are one and the same.

 

The pain from where creation begins, the valiant efforts and the tears that come from living a life more than half-baked are hardly if ever, photographed or posted.

 

Take my latest video on headwraps for instance.
Click Play To View
My intention to learn how to create and style headwraps was inspired by my upcoming trip to South Africa where I want to worry less about how to style my hair and focus more on the experiences that a 4-week life changing trip will bring. The bold swaths of printed modern African fabric twisted and tied onto my head, I figured, would help me to blend in but also stand out with a signature style.

But as I peered into the mirror learning the how to’s of wrapping, other images of black women appeared side-by-side my own. I had seen them before of course, in movies, in my history books, on posters; women whose faces and eyes echoed a deep and unimaginable pain.

I turned to Google to understand the history and the connection and read what hardly ever gets discussed in any You Tuber’s glossed over video on the topic. There, on Google, was the very coexistence of opposing forces held in a story of triumph and defeat, pain and blessing.


READ MORE ON THE BLOG

www.forwardforty.com
judette@forwardforty.com

1.868.720.2797


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list






This email was sent to tomficklin@aol.com 
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences 
Forward Forty · 443 W 51st Street · Apt 2A · New York, NY 10031 · USA 

Comments