If you can’t beat them, be them! | Joy DeGruy














If you can’t beat them, be them! | Joy DeGruy

If you can’t beat them, be them!
When I began my research on multigenerational trauma and African Americans I reached out to a mentor and colleague, Dr. Maria Yellow Horse Braveheart. I had read several of her articles about historical trauma about the impact of colonialism on Native people and the unresolved grief that they continue to suffer with. I had never seen or spoken with Maria so when she answered the phone from her office in Colorado I secretly wonder if she was well. . . REALLY. . Native. We shared our initial niceties’ and being the amazing person that she is she abruptly said: “You’re wondering if I’m a real Indian” she laughed and said: yes Joy I’m a real Indian and I even look Indian!”
Maria instantly knew what I was thinking and feeling because she like many of us had encountered the white person suddenly declaring their Indian blood...
Full post here...
http://joydegruy.com/uncateg…/if-you-cant-beat-them-be-them/

Comments