Click here to support The Pink &The Black Project by Annette Madlock Gatison


















Click here to support The Pink &The Black Project by Annette Madlock Gatison

As a breast cancer survivor, mother, aunt, daughter, sister, friend and all the other hats I wear policy issues related to women's health and quality of life are important to me.  The Pink and The Black Project’s mission is to increase "Political Awareness" regarding breast cancer legislation and other health policy issues that impact Black women’s health, their quality of life and the lives of those around them. I will be going to DC in early May as part of a coalition of women’s organizations to lobby for the Accelerating the End of Breast Cancer Act and request that the Department of Defense Appropriations Committee continue funding coordinated breast cancer research.

Later in June I plan to attend the FORCE conference, (Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered).  This organization focuses on hereditary breast and ovarian cancer issues.  Audre Lorde (1980, p. 75) said " Every woman has a militant responsibility to involve herself actively with her own health.  We owe ourselves the protection of all the information we can acquire about the treatment of cancer and its causes, as well as about the recent findings concerning immunology, nutrition, environment, and stress.  And we owe ourselves this information BEFORE we may have a reason to use it".  My goal is to gather the information and share it with as many individuals and organizations as possible.  I can do this with your help.

Black women die from breast cancer at a staggering rate compared to other racial groups.  I stand in a privileged position and it is my responsibility to take every opportunity to participate in a variety of places and provide a voice for Black women.  The Pink and The Black Project is a manifestation of that work, my responsibility.  Again, my goal is to share everything I learn with other local organizations (from CT to WI and anyplace else) that are concerened with the health of Black women.  I am available for speaking engagements on a variety women's health and policy issues.

501(c) 3 Status is pending.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Annette

Works Cited:
Lorde, A. (1980). The cancer journals special edition. San Francisco, CA: Aunt Lute Books

Comments