First Black Miss Israel: "I'm Not Ashamed To Say There Is Racism In Israel"

















 



First Black Miss Israel: "I'm Not Ashamed To Say There Is Racism In Israel"

WASHINGTON — The first black woman to win the
crown of Miss Israel says she believes the country has real problems
with its treatment of refugees and immigrants from Africa but that the
situation is improving.
“I’m not ashamed to say that there is racism in Israel; it’s a
problem, but it’s a problem that Israel is working on and it’s something
that Israel is trying to fix and it’s actually improving,” Yityish
“Titi” Aynaw, 22, told BuzzFeed in an interview at the lobby of
Washington’s Palomar Hotel.



“I don’t feel the racism, me, exactly,” Aynaw said. “But my family feels it sometimes.”



Aynaw is in the United States this week on invitation of the Israeli
Embassy. She traveled first to New York and then to Washington, where
she met with members of the city’s large Ethiopian community. She also
played basketball with members of the Philadelphia 76ers.

Comments