Skip to main content

How a Digital First reporter should approach statehouse coverage


How a Digital First reporter should approach statehouse coverage

by Steve Buttry
Credit: Free images from acobox.com
An editor asked me to outline how a Digital First statehouse reporter should work.
I see nine themes for the digital emphasis of a statehouse reporter:
  1. Live reporting of events.
  2. Community engagement around the issues and events of the Capitol.
  3. Reporting breaking news and enterprised scoops as the stories unfold.
  4. Curation of content from other sources.
  5. Enterprise and daily reporting based on analysis of data compiled by state agencies.
  6. Video reporting of interviews and news events.
  7. Mapping.
  8. Digitally focused enterprise reporting.
  9. Beatblogging.
I'll elaborate on them, but need to acknowledge up front that I'm not involved directly with statehouse coverage now, so some statehouse editors and reporters could certainly explain any or all of these points better than I could. This continues the discussion I started last month with a post on the workflow of a Digital First journalistRead more of this post
Comment   

Comments