Birthday Appreciation Service for Elder Jamarr A. Myrick

Birthday Appreciation Service for Elder Jamarr A. Myrick Facebook Photo Album
A birthday celebration was held on Friday, November 26, 2011 at the St Mathews Baptist Church. I was going to attend several other events on this evening. A traditionally fun and very enjoyable Christian comedy event was being held that evening, an upscale club event was on my radar and a well publicized community good times dance and BYOB was taking place right near my home.

 Nonetheless on this occasion I am so glad that I followed my instincts. A free event, open to all, come as you are, all generations in attendance, grand classical music, no drinking, no smoking, good times and for the cause of lifting up our true spirits was the right place to be. I often think of the open space in churches - the vacancies during many daylight and night time hours. Psychic, spiritual, economic and practical space waiting to be infused with communion and community. Imagine a google map with dots of churches throughout the nation. We often here in New Haven talk about for example the Yale Tennis Stadium being used one or two weeks a year. But think about the dark hours in the buildings nationwide called churches. Vacant hours, wasted hours, dormant hours. I have many church friends and love churches. But I also love the idea and vision that these various houses of God can be functioning more often than a few days each week and for only limited hours. Consider it a secular need perhaps. But the idea of celebrating your birthday at church was really compelling and I was blessed to witness it !

Comments