FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

A very good friend has shared with me the following thoughts about the Arizona gun one way fight. It reminded me of the many many  cowboy and western films we have all seen . Also we have to remember the dueling was a honored and considered gentlemanly tradition. It also made me reflect on the fact that gun powder was invented in the east , but used for killing in the west.I just feel that the US gun laws should be similar to the laws in Japan.
Also we tend to forget the Prohibition just increased the gangster prowess.
Nonetheless, my good friends thoughts are compelling and very much worth considering. Please consider adding your comments. 


Hola Tom;  Been following your and others calls for tougher gun laws in lieu of what happened in AZ. By coincidence I had my M-9 and M-16 training today.
Can't say I agree that gun laws or blaming the NRA is the answer. It might make us feel better or help us rationalize anf irrational act, but I think it misses the point and misplaces the blame. When Al Queada or Mexican drug lords behead someone (like the 13 last week in Acapulco) no one asks where they got the knife ... Or the rope when they hang someone.
I don't want my right to carry a gun impacted by a senseless act anymore than my right to drive my car because someone killed a person with their car. Any object can become a weapon. Making guns illegal isn't going to improve anything more than making cocaine illegal has curbed its use, in my humble opinion. 
It's a sad fact but if someone is out to kill me, there is little I can do. At some point they will track me down and use any means to kill me. To me, the issue is that they want to kill me and not what weapon they would use to do so.

I just wish someone with a gun was there to shoot and kill this guy before he continued and killed the others. I certainly would have discharged my handgun if I were there.

Let me know your thoughts ...

Comments

Unknown said…
When my sister was married in Miles City, Montana, I visited the Range Riders Museum there. They had an extensive collection of firearms. As City Historian of Norwich, CT, I was impressed by the number of firearms made in Norwich which were on display. This prompted me to remark to the curator that it was pretty neat that we made guns in Norwich and then shipped them west for people to shoot with. He remarked glumly that his father had been shot to death with a gun. I was put to shame. We romanticize guns, but the truth is that handguns were made specifically for killing people. It is long past time that we passed gun control laws that protect people and stop the senseless killings and shootings like the one in Arizona.