ERIKA HUGGINS



Home
As an activist, former political prisoner & leader in the Black Panther Party,
educator & student I’ve devoted my life to the equality of all—beyond the boundaries of age, culture, class, gender, sexual orientation or ability.

For the past 30 years I have lectured across the country on issues relating
to the well-being of women, children & youth; incarceration; education;
& the role of spiritual practice in sustaining activism and promoting change.

I spent 14 years in the Black Panther Party--the highlight being my 8 years
as Director of the renowned Oakland Community School from 1973-1981.
During that time I became both the first Black person & the first woman
appointed to the Alameda Co. Board of Education. I continue to teach today
in the Women’s Studies program at California State University-East Bay.

I believe as a teacher I must be a student; as a student I must be a teacher.
I write poetry. I read to hone my critical thinking skills. I believe that
we learn best by engaging one another as we serve the world.

Comments