Blood Done Sign My Name showcases activist’s legacy


http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/screengrab/2010/02/15/blood-done-sign-my-name-showcases-activist%E2%80%99s-legacy/
February 15, 2010 at 10:00 am by Curt Holman in Movies, Review
In 1970, the murder of African-American Henry Marrow on the streets of Oxford, N.C., tragically evoked the brutal deaths of Emmett Till and others in the Jim Crow South. The fallout of the Marrow killing, and the acquittal of accused killers Robert and Larry Teel, proved unexpectedly explosive. Black citizens, including many Vietnam veterans, marched, rioted and in some cases, committed acts of arson that cost an estimated $1 million in property damage in the tobacco town.
Oxford native, budding Civil Rights activist and future NAACP President Benjamin Chavis recalls his hometown protests as unprecedented. “There had been a lot of riots in the late 1960s, but not in the South. The riots were in the urban Northeast and Midwest, and on the West Coast. And most of the riots had been in urban areas. Who ever heard of a rural riot?” Chavis says.

Comments

nit said…
"WOW"!!! What a nice Blog! It gives me interesting information about the movie Blood done sign my name. Well I have not watched this movie, but your Blog makes me to watch Blood done sign my name Movie, So I m very excited to see it as I am a big fan of drama movies.