WHO ARE YOU

I was recently entered an elevator and was joined by a white lady. She asked "Who are You ?" Fair question, freedom of speech is still an enforceable right for the most part. And after all I am good looking, well kept, healthy in bearing, etc.

I responded that I am life.

My real first thoughts, were to throw the question back at her , ie WHO ARE YOU? My second real thought was "NONE of your Business. My third real thought was " Your Mama"(But I digress)

Again the question was a fair one, but sometimes moods, beliefs, perceptions and personality impact your behavior. The most pleasant thing I could think of saying is that I AM LIFE.

We know the stereotypes, black man, white lady step into elevator, white lady clutches her purse.

Two people get into elevator and avoid eye contact.

On my part, I just did not feel like answering the person's question. Perhaps on a deeper level it reminded me of having to show papers in South Africa that you lived in a country that the white man invaded and stole from you. Maybe it reminded me of free black men in America up-north having to verify that they were free and not runaway slaves.

Maybe it reminded me of white folks thinking that they can demand answers and songs, and dance for pennies thrown into a hat.

Perhaps my I AM LIFE answer was to communicate that we all are life and that identity personas and identity social politics pollute the awareness that we are one.

Oh Yes, Perhaps the person was just being polite. But we have all seen the look in a white person's eyes of who are you, meaning, do you deserve to be here, are you worthy, are you safe and not a crazy professor from Harvard.....

Call me paranoid, ie call me Black in America part 400- still to air on CNN.....

Comments

Unknown said…
Tom -

Your elevator incident makes me sad and angry, and my take on it is that the white lady's anxiety over your presence in the elevator was so high that she cast aside what she must have known about how to act in an elevator and let her fear/racism take over. I do hope your response shook her enough so that she does not act offensively toward another person of color on an elevator or anywhere else.

Best wishes,

bill Heinrichs