AN OPEN LETTER FROM JIMMIE GRIFFIN

Open Letter Concerned To All Concerned Black People/Others Too

As a former state official for over nine years, as a volunteer commissioner who served on both the Judicial Selection and Human Rights and Opportunities Commissions. I am appalled at the total lack of respect given concerning my human and civil rights in this state, as well as this nation.

Not only did I serve in those capacities, I am a US Army veteran who obtained the rank of Sargent during the Vietnam War while serving in a hostile fire zone on the Korean DMZ. In addition to the above I have served in numerous leadership capacities, that include but are not limited too; former Connecticut NAACP President; Former Waterbury NAACP President; Former N.E. President of Black School Administrators and Educators; and have received numerous awards on the local state and national levels.

Let's cut through the chase and get to the meat of my issue, for most of my adult life I have fought for the rights of veterans, blacks, Latinos and any other people who I felt were unjustly treated in our fair society. I truly believe in the rights given in our constitution and the concept of it preamble. But for the past 6 months
I have been silenced to some degree by false charges concerning a sexual harassment compliant, in which I violated no laws and that was never fully investigated by the very agency of which the charges were allegedly from.

As a former commissioner of the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights, I was a strong advocate for the people who had no voice and had ruffled a few feathers in my 5 years on the board. There was much evidence of this from both public statements, recorded minutes and inter-office communication to support my advocacy role.

I am not a rich-man but a very proud one when it comes to my efforts to help others and I believe when a man's name when tarnished there is no greater damage. I have made mistakes in my life and I accepted full responsibility for them. I have always st-rived to be as honest and forthcoming as possible, but when someone uses outright lies in attempts to destroy me, I become outraged and I want a fair and open hearing, not a veiled policy decision of hear-say that ends in a public kind of lynching.

The reason for writing this letter is very simple, I want justice. I filed a compliant with CHRO knowing that my chance of getting justice was almost naught. I saw the power of the state in it's protection of itself at any costs. I know if I had a good lawyer I could win my good name back but because I can't afford it like many others do, we have to suffer from being treated unjustly by the same agencies that we as tax payers pay to protect those very rights.

All I am asking for is an inquiry into this CHRO agency on behalf of the thousands of Connecticut residents who would or have put, their trust in this agency to fairly investigate discrimination complaints.

Jimmie L. Griffin
Activist

Comments